INITIAL IN-HOME CONSULT
WHAT TO EXPECT
- I’ll have you fill out a breastfeeding questionnaire and medical history before our consult asking several questions about how you and your baby are doing and what’s been happening.
- Do an assessment of the inside of your baby’s mouth.
- Weigh your baby. Do pre and post feeding weights to give us a snapshot of how much breastmilk your baby is taking in at that feeding.
- Watch how your baby is positioning and latching onto the breast, observe a breastfeeding session, and give suggestions and adjustments as we go along.
- If I believe there maybe structural issues with your little one (such as torticollis, pain in the neck, baby favoring one side over the other, jaw clenching issues, etc…) I’ll also do a quick and gentle structural assessment.
- All this will help me get the whole picture of what is happening with your breastfeeding situation.
- I’ll provide you with information, techniques and suggestions to help. I may show you breastfeeding videos, give you information sheets, and a list of instructions to help you remember what we discussed during our session.
- Together we will create a plan that works best for you and your family!
- Plan on me being with you and your baby for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Things to consider
- We don’t want your little one to be super hungry, but definitely ready to nurse when I get there. If you can time a nursing session 1-2 hrs before I arrive then most babies are ready to nurse again during our consult. We will go off of your baby’s timing, so no rushing through anything.
- I’ll watch a nursing session where your normal breastfeeding spot is. Have any pillows that you normally use near by.
- Regarding your pump: If you have questions, need instructions, or would like me to look at your pump flange size, please have all of your pumping supplies ready and near.
- Please do not clean up or worry about how your house looks. I am there for you and your baby!
- After our consultation please feel free to call, text, or email with any questions or concerns regarding the breastfeeding plan we come up. There is no charge for quick questions pertaining to your initial consult to keep your progress moving forward!
If you need more support or questions are more in-depth
LET’S make sure BREASTFEEDING IS getting betteR!
PAYMENT AND INSURANCE INFO
- Payment is due at the end of our consultation.
- I take cash, check, or credit card. I do prefer cash or check which helps me avoid credit card processing fees. I can also take HSA card.
- I am not in-network with any health insurance companies. I would be considered an out-of-network provider. I do have a professional receipt called a Super Bill (a receipt with medical insurance coding) that I will provide you. I highly recommend submitting to your insurance. There is no guarantee that your insurance company will pay, but it’s worth a try. Please note: that it is your responsibility to submit the receipt to your insurance.
*Map to show you the many area’s I serve. If you are outside this area, feel free to email or call, I often make home visits outside of these area’s. A nominal travel fee maybe applied.
Melissa Preitauer, IBCLC, RLC